I picked up LEGO’s ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Gathering’, set 79003, at Toys R Us a couple of days before the official release. There was a lot of buzz when pictures first surfaced of this set, so that put it at the top of my Holiday 2012 wish list. The set totally lived up to the hype and is easily one of the best sets of 2012!
From LEGO: Gandalf the Grey has invited the Dwarves to Bag End — the Hobbit home of Bilbo Baggins. At first, Bilbo is not happy about cooking for so many unexpected and rude guests! But when they invite him to join their quest to The Lonely Mountain, the Company set out on their epic adventure.
Includes Gandalf the Grey and 5 exclusive minifigures featured only in this set: Bilbo Baggins in his Shire outfit, Balin the Dwarf, Dwalin the Dwarf, Bombur the Dwarf and Bofur the Dwarf, all with assorted weapons.
- Includes 6 minifigures: Bilbo Baggins in Shire outfit, Gandalf the Grey, Balin the Dwarf, Dwalin the Dwarf, Bombur the Dwarf and Bofur the Dwarf, all with assorted weapons
- Accessories include 3 Middle-earth™ maps, flowers, fence, goblets, plates, chicken, bread, carrots, sausage, bottles, shovel and apples
- House features a fence with gate, barrel, bench, removable roof, tree and leaf exterior, round windows and door, a table with stools and shelves
- Includes 7 weapons: 2 swords, 2 knives, club, pick axe and a staff
- Collect 5 exclusive minifigures featured only in this set: Bilbo Baggins in his Shire outfit,Balin the Dwarf, Dwalin the Dwarf, Bombur the Dwarf and Bofur the Dwarf!
- Uncover the Hobbit hole to play inside!
- Feed the hungry Dwarves with tons of food and drink accessories!
- Open the doors, gate and windows!
- House measures over 6” (16cm) high, 11” (28cm) wide and 6” (17cm) deep
The set comes with four bags of bricks. This is the front of the house and what you’ll have at the end of the first bag.
The rear view of the house at the end of bag #1.
Things escalate quickly with brick bag #2.
One of the most buzzed about features of this set is this window. The design is so simple and yet so elegant.
Things start to fill in around the house at the end of bag #3. The garden and interior pieces are finally in place.
Closeup on the kitchen and writing desk without minifigs.
Closeup on the door and rest of the house without minifigs.
Side view to show the garden and side windows.
A view from above before building the roof.
Lastly, the roof, tree and chimney are all in bag #4.
The removable roof and tree from above.
Finished model from above, no minifigs.
Minifigs in the kitchen.
Closeup of minifig and maps.
Bilbo in his garden.